||5 Tips That Will Make You A Successful Basketball Defense
Defense is a key in basketball. A team that shoots hoops can only win if it has a great defense in place. Every basketball team needs to create a working defense system. And a team needs to be a well rounded one so that it can play even at high intensity.
Read how great defenders in basketball perfected their dense moves. Make notes of what will work for you and what will not. Get your mind to function like that of a soldier who is all set to defend his nation. Only in the case of basketball the nation is the ball and team position.
Here are a few defense tips:
1. Learn all about ball and man line. This is an imaginary line between the player you are defending and the man with the ball. Learn to position yourself on the basket side of the ball man line and form a defensive triangle.
2. Master the art of “cover down defense”. Position yourself to the level of the ball so that you can stop the ball before it reaches the lane.
3. Use double down strategy when a low post player gets the ball. Learn how to double team the post player.
4. Jump to the ball and be quick to make adjustments to your stance and position. Be in position and jump this will help you avoid front cutters and screens. This will make you a strong team player.
5. Use the strategy of strongside closure when your team member passes the ball and cuts to the basket. Jump to the ball side and slide along the lane.
Remember defense is what ensures that your team gets control of the ball so include in the basketball training aspects of team defense moves, post defense moves, on the ball defense moves, and off the ball defense moves.
A great basketball defense player is one who:
1. Moves quickly.
2. Has strength and stamina.
3. Trains throughout the year.
4. Has an in depth understanding of the game.
5. Is a communicator and team leader.
6. Studies the strengths and weaknesses of the opponent team before every game.
7. Is able to think on his feet and change strategy even mid-game should the need arise.
8. Is a listener and picks up clues as well as moves from others.
9. Plays strong-side and weak –side defense well
The World Wide Web is an information highway for basketball players. There are websites exclusively devoted to the game and these are full of coaching tips, articles on training, records of history of basketball, winning teams, great players, and on sports management. Use the in depth expertise of the internet and perfect your basketball plays to create a championship winning team.